Sunday, January 15, 2006

Hard drive's aren't supposed to start smoking...

Sunday. So what do I do, between insominaic, and going back to work on Monday?

"I know, let's have some fun with the RedHat Fedora Core 2 Linux book & dvd I bought myself a few months ago..."

In fact, there's nothing of use on the D drive, lets move it all onto the C drive. (Not a lot, just some IE cache files now of no use, and a prehistoric OE build).

So, the D drive is now 3.0gb, and all free.

Formatted the D into hdb, and C remains hda - for Linux use - but all that stuff went onto D... sorry, hdb.

The installation stops, or "inexplicably fails", a few times.

So, I went back into Windows. No Drive D. Not surprised.... I tried to add it back into Windows, to see if I could reformat it a 2nd time (and remember, I've no way of getting this online).

The screen goes to the Blue Screen of Death, and says "Unable to write to Drive C: Data may be lost".

By this point, the computer has the panel off, so I put my finger in to have a look.
There's SMOKE coming from it.

Dusty? Not as bad as some I've had to work in, in the past...

Now, it won't make any noises, and to say something a little improper, I think I've f**ked it up. Seriously. Close to three years of work on it, too... most of it is on the web, but a lot of it is not. I could have lived without the contents of the D drive. The timing is just co-incidence, as it could have gone up at any time. The consequences of it going alight when I wasn't paying attention don't bear thinking about. But, for now, it's now marginally less important to get my phone and broadband back... for now anyway. I think the money is to go on a new hard drive...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home