Thursday, April 13, 2006

V. Good Thursday

Right, where do I start?
Last night, I'd worn the mobile down, so had it in the charger in the hallway. It was turned off to avoid being woken by anything overnight - for a change. I had a quick read of my email via mail2wap (wap based version of mail2web.com), and another mail from the same person in BT, saying that she was unable to get me on my mobile... can I please send her the number, and some other details...
So, I turned on the pc, and looked at the letter. OK, should be 078 and not 079 at the start... never mind, I forgot. Less than two minutes after sending the email off my mobile, the mobile rang... and it was A.C. from BT. They've reinstated my phone line, effective now, and cleared the previous erroneous invoice, because of my long-running issues... Good...
So, I tried the landline. No dial tone. On checking the cables, I'd unplugged it, presumably during the bad weather during the winter. Plugged it back in - the landline works, and there's already a 1571 voicemail from her checking that it does!
I then headed for the shower, before going to work. The phone rang. It was a brain freeze moment "Oh the phone's ringing... what do I do?... well, answer it..." OK I'd forgotten how to react in the preceeding six months or so, but I ran for it. I got as far as the handset - and it went to 1571 voicemail. AAARRGGHHHH! Leaving a wet dripping trail of hot water, shampoo and shower stuff, following me in both directions...
The phone rings for a second time, and it turns out to be a recorded scam. Yes, I've not even had the phone line back for an hour, and already they think I am fair game!
I phoned her back, and she said "Oh, and I've reactivated your broadband too..."
Hang on, I've not got broadband... so I questioned this... and it's the Connect Anytime I had - but because it was Connect, she'd assumed it was broadband. So she asked "How can you suspend a dial-up product?"
I said "It's easy... you go into OSS, and..."
She said "Stoppit...!"
I half-thought she thought I was being fas.... abusive... but not, I carried on to explain that if you suspend such an account, it loses email and dial-up rights. So we've both learned from the call, and she's agreed to call me in 13 days time i.e. after the holidays, and her week off on holiday too.
On the way to work, had to go via Disc Depot for a new 56k modem, after some install issues with the other one. Managed to walk past three Strathtay managers who were in the High Street at "Littlewoods", as I passed on the other side of the road. When I started to head over, my 13 arrived to take me west!
I got to work, and I was told we were having a team meeting. Yes. We've not had one of those in months. And just like the last time, it is the day before a Team Night Out!
After that, meeting about the situation with facilities. I should point out we are only up to 3pm by this point! All went reasonably well - some stuff they were not aware of, and a few things I was not. It seems as it there is an ongoing thing to try and improve the place, despite the fact the place is currently two main managers short, but things like having taps but not having any water in them, were news to them!
Early evening, I get word about Stagecoach winning an award for their website... this was news to me, but this came from a colleague. He said he liked megabus.com, as it was clear, and better than Virgin Trains/The Train Line (49% owned by Virgin), as it does not allow you to select the choice of trips in both directions to the same way as Megabus does. I said I'd look into it.
Mid-evening, and word reaches me during my break that the Office of Fair Trading has decided not to investigate further the case of the sale of the Traction Group Limited (including Strathtay Scottish & Meffan) to Stagecoach. This means no Competition Commmison referal - unlike the Citylink/Megabus merger, where they are even leafleting passengers in Glasgow, to get their views!
On the way home, I managed to leave the pink book/filofax on the bus, as I departed at the Seagate. I didn't see this until after I got off, went via Tesco for food, and ended up home.
Then, I needed the Connect Anytime phone number, which I'd written in the book... so, ran back via Tesco to the bus station, to see the cleaners at 224, and nothing was found. The driver had paid in and gone home, and no mention was made of anything being left.
I went home, to look further - now thinking that I'd left it at home - and bumped into a colleague who was between pubs and club.
So, went home, modem installed - BUT it connects, and gets no web! Nothing at all! Two different providers..
At 1am, decided to call it a day. VERY Good day, and glad I've "won" vs. BT. But... this does now mean I have a working phoneline, but the modem gets nothing web related at all. It also means the book may well be lost - but I was sat under the camera. Tommorrow will effectivly be a continuation of today... especially as I am off work...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home