Friday, March 24, 2006

Adventures in Operating Systems experimentation and bastardisation

No, I've not been having any more late nights recently - thankfully. I've finally managed to cobble together a few old hard drives 2.1gb - wow! - sounds big vs. the 1.7gb on my original machine, which was a p166 back in the day... and just to think, in the days of the Amiga, the entire os fitted onto one 512k floppy disc...

Red Hat Fedora 2 (Linux) was good, but I don't really have the time to learn everything over again. It was slow on a p400 with 96mb of ram, but I guess it's a more up-to-date version than WinME, which I had, and now do so again. It does some things "out the box" that windows does not - support for my Epson CX3200 (printer only - not the scanner!), opens pdfs, and can burn CD's. With Windows XP, the latter is now include by default - and it is so much easier... then again, there were some things that Windows could do, but Linux could not... like boot and install on the first attempt, not the fifth or sixth...

(As I type this, I find that F
irefox has CTRL-U as "View Source", which is a p155er if you are in blogger editing suite, trying to do underlining...)

So, I'm getting back to how it was.

Now, to start "war" on the almightly "client", who think they can ignore my requests re my phone line... which has now gone on far enough...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home