Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Not just a routine trip this time

Firstly, a happy Independance Day to all the americans who read this...

Anwyay, it's a Tuesday, it's the first of the month, so I'm visiting Sandyford in Glasgow for more routine check-ups and discussion. As I hinted at last night, I had a few things to think about. One thing I didn't was the fact that I - for the second time in two days - managed to miss the bus (M9). Without having a huge set of timetables with me, I read the boards. The next bus is a stopping service (M8), which would get me there that little bit late, at around 1100ish. There is an alternative - given that I'm going to have to pay full fare again anyway, it's going to be a shade cheaper - and it was sat there as it pulled in - the 0820 X54 to Dunfermline, changing to the X24 in Glenrothes, which should get me in for - off the top of my head - 1045/1050ish. I could then phone and say I'd be on my way, because if I put my foot down and ran to the bus stop, I could get there for 1115ish. I hoped. Why not wait for the M8? Well, roadworks on the way between Dundee & Perth could slow me down where I don't need it.

So, decided to board the X54. Single to Glasgow... driver knows how to issue one, but queries "where do you change for that?" This is the one journey on the X54 that Dunfermline depot drivers do during the week, so I guess it was explainable. Ticket issued for £7.00 IIRC, and then I go take a seat. Just as the mobile coverage starts to become solid (i.e. at Freuchie) I call them to let them know (it's a "drop in before 1100" basis) that I would be a shade late, arriving between 1100-1115. This was fine, they said they'd still be there. Good.

Until we hit the A92 on the way into Glenrothes. This road has recently been remodeled, but as we got to Cadham Mills, I could see red lights all the way back. Including another Stagecoach Express coach in front of us - which was going to be my X24... So, we were going to be late, but I'd still make it. Even more late than I was planning on. As we got closer to the Queensway roundabout, it was obvious something had happened, as police and ambulance crews were in attendance. Two car RTA. There was one policewoman on points duty, who was waving traffic through a few at a time, then changing direction. She waved through the X24 in front of us, but that was the last to get through for a few moments! Right, what happens now? Will I still make it there? If not, will both buses get to Dunfermline? How are we going to leave Glenrothes if this is the same roundabout we'd use to get out? I remembered the old principle - when you have to go, you will end up there safely. In the end, I was a little lucky that there was a queue for the X24 i.e. the Glasgow bus, so that held the bus in place for long enough for the X54 to catch up... I then got off 52353 and boarded 52422 on the X24 instead, who's driver went out the "old road" B921 through Kinglassie to Auchterderran, then onto the A92. This may have seemed a bit odd for those who didn't know about the accident on the roundabout, but it seemed perfeclty logical to me. I didn't know if we were on time or not, but a spirited performance meant I got into Buchanan Bus Station just before the hour changed. I hot-footed it to Bath Street, got First Gemini 32577 on the 18 to Sandyford, and walked up to reception bang on 1115 - I made it at the "promised time" - even though after that, all had contrived against me! There were actually another few who turned up after I did, and I wondered if they'd had an eventuful run as I did...

So, met up with John again, after a short-to-medium wait. It was somewhat reminiscent of the scene the first time I came to Glasgow to see them, back in 2004. Then, there had been some kind of failure on the track near Perth, and all trains anywhere around had been replaced with buses - leading to congestion, and it was wet, and the rest. Then, that all really threw my mind. That, and it was my first time. This time, all the above seemed to be irrelevant as soon as I'd got to the door. I didn't end up upset, and I made it in one piece all the way there. While I'd been waiting, I'd also got my mind back. One of the "hidden" benefits of hormone treatment? Anyway, a few blood samples - less than last time, as I think that study I mentioned earlier in the year has now ran its course for me at least - and we discuss what I'm on at the minute, and ask about a few options. As a result, I'm going to be on 3 x estrogen tabs per day, again moving from 2 to 3. That can start anytime, as I already have those. I also asked about anti-androgens, and he's writing to my gp to prescribe these too. When I asked about these, he said "it would be reasonable" given my progress so far, and this would of course dramatically increase the effects of what I was already taking. He then asked if I had any problems with hair, and I pointed out apart from it going everywhere and getting in knots... he laughed! honest! Anyway, this is one standard tablet, and when I can remember the name of it, I will let you know...

Anyway, from there, I went out onto Sandyford Place. I purchased a First day ticket on the way up, took 69059 on the 16 westbound to the retail park just past Partick, then got the same vehicle again upon its return (from Blairdardie) to between Partick & Hillhead, then 61499 on the 42A into town. I then met up with Bobby (WestEndPoet) once more, and as I'd just had something to eat at Hillhead Subway (the SPT train station is now next door but one to the resturant!), I passed and we ended up at Starbucks. (Maybe I should have waited, but that was technically breakfast... as a coffee and mint two-finger KitKat isn't enough for one day!) Anyway, we talked about work (both), my trip in, his holiday, operators coming and going, as well as working on the stance as opposed to in the office. He was finished for the day when we met, so we had a little longer than usual. As I was heading down towards Argyle Street area - well I was needing somewhere to go before 1700 bus home again, I went with him. Some pics and the like from around St Enoch before walking around to Glassford Street for 40830 on the 263 back to Dundee.

The 1700 M8 to Dundee was West Coast Motors S900 WCM, who's driver I had cause to write in this blog about before - when he worked elsewhere, lets just say. Anyway, back in Dundee on time, and I get the chance to go home and recover!

You can see the pictures I that I got a chance to snap today here, including some from Dundee on the way home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home