Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Day 5 – St Andrews, Cupar, Dunfermline, Crombie, Abbeyview, Edinburgh

Do you remember when 1st of August was the day when all the new vehicles went on the road? For now, it’s March & September each year, but most recently it was August. In any case, two new Darts, and at least one Solo were spotted today!

Started at the bus station, and ticket was shown to the driver of 22407 on the 99. Drivers refused to believe it were valid, despite the fact that their own ticket of the same name, same price etc. has been on sale since 2002! So, he went off to check with the Strathtay stance inspector, who advised that yes, this was legit enough. Into St Andrews, and back out on Mercedes 40642
on the 64B to Letham, and I was going as far as Cupar.

Whilst waiting in Cupar for the X24, SP 06 FND, a new slim Optare Solo for the 68, was spotted first day out. Interestingly, discussion on DABF
showed that the fleetnumber, 47368, has been applied incorrectly. Volvo 52354 on the X24 took me from Cupar to Dunfermline, where I found new Dart 36101 (SP 06 FMY) was on the 78’s, as was 36102, which I did not picture. One of the DAF/Optare Delta training buses was spotted in Dunfermline bus station.

I then took Volvo Olympian 16163 on the (late-running) 76 to Crombie. New driver had to ask for help with the ticket to his colleague, who did quite well to explain that it was ok, and we carried on. We got into Crombie a little late, and I wanted to get the 82, so I got off at the top of Ordnance Road, and waited for the 82 coming out. I needn’t have worried, as it was running sharp too! – 34726 which was D5/D6 branded, but on the 82. 16163
came back out, allowing a picture, before the 82 followed it soon after. The driver, amongst others, had a Subway promotional ticket roll in his machine, but the paper was much thicker than usual, meaning most tickets got jammed in the guillotine.

When I got back to Dunfermline bus station, I progressed to James Street, and then took 33415 on the D7 to Abbeyview, before taking Solo 47230 on the D6 (driver wasn’t sure of the ticket either!) back to St Leonards Street, still with part of the 78 branding on the windows! I then got Volvo 20336 on the 55 into Edinburgh.

As we progressed towards Edinburgh, there was news of an accident on the Forth Road Bridge, and there was a lot of slow moving traffic around – which proves the value of having all-day bus lanes around Ferrytoll! What confused me even more was the sight of a Volvo Olympian 16157 on the X59/X60, going UP Inverkething Hill Street as we were coming down… there is a low bridge, but it did make me wonder where he was going! As I found out later (thanks to the driver also being a DABF member!) that the bus was going the route to avoid the low bridge, and the “delay” was actually just slow moving traffic, it seemed to be cleared! Got a pic of it in Princes Street, just to show that it did happen (again)!
From Edinburgh City Centre, I then took Lothian 119(G) on Service 22 to Gyle - G stands for guidewheels for the Fastlink Guided Busway - then I had a bite to eat, before S104WHK (I can’t remember the number of this!) on the X40 (running through to Dunfermline, despite the blind), then Volvo 522366 on the X24 to Guardbridge, and MAN 22405 on the 99A to Dundee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home