Thursday, July 27, 2006

Two wrongs don't make a right - normally

This was my last day at work, before the start of ten days off.

Talk about unfortunate timing though, because following Erin's announcement earlier in the week, her state has recently made their policy on "gay marriage". I'll leave it in the words of the artist herself, as she does such a good job at it...

July 27, 2006 - Well, today I was going to post my father's guest rant, but just this morning, the gay marriage decision got handed down from the Washington Supreme Court, and since this affects me personally, having just proposed to my lesbian girlfriend of two years, I felt obligated to say something.
First of all, thank you to the many, many people who sent me congratulations on our engagement. It's really heartwarming to know that not everyone believes its wrong to be in love. The soon-to-be Mrs. Lindsey (or maybe I'm the soon-to-be Mrs... I guess that's something we need to discuss) is still pretty giddy over the whole thing, and she's loving reading everyone's e-mails over my shoulder. There's still a lovely picture of the custom Ring I had made for her here, for those of your who've been wanting to see it. And to answer the single most oft-asked question I've received: No, we don't have a date in mind yet. We know it will have to be at least a year, because neither of us wants to tie the knot while I'm still crazy with schooling, and we'd like to make it within the next two years. Beyond that, who can say. To answer the second-most-asked question: No, I will not be having a public wedding for all my fans. You'll just have to settle for sending wedding gifts and cash.
So back on the very national version of marriage: This morning, the Washington States Supreme Court handed down their decision that homosexuals didn't deserve the right to marry. Their basic reasoning, like most every opponent's, is that being gay is a choice, so it's not something you need special consideration for. I'm not going to break off into a tirade about whether or not gay is in-born or learned, and whether its a choice or something you're just given without your consultation, but if it were up to these same sorts of people, being black would probably be considered a lifestyle choice, too.
The line that really stuck it to me was in mentioning that gays weren't being discriminated against, because they're free to marry people of the opposite sex any time they want. Dear lord, if ANYTHING would cause damage to straight marriage, it would be forcing gays to do it.
The primary justification for the judicial discrimination was that gay couples couldn't procreate (well... gay male couples, anyway; as near as I can tell, there's no such thing as lesbians), so in years to come, expect to see a lot of court decisions from Washington state outlawing marriage between the elderly, sterile couples, and heterosexuals who don't want children.
Luckily, thanks to extremely close-minded birth-certificate modification laws that prevent a transsexual from being re-assigned as her new gender, I can still legally marry the woman I love. I guess two wrongs can make a right.

In Europe, are we really that open-minded - or closed-minded? I think we like to think we are open minded, although some people say we restrictive. At least the UK on the whole has got better policies on both the items mentioned - albeit with much discussion along the way (and in the latter case, a challenge to the European Court of Human Rights). Maybe things aren't so bad after all. Not brilliant or ideal, but still better than some.

Right, enough rants from me for now, I am officially on holiday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home