Friday, July 21, 2006

West Side Story

Fine on Friday?... well, not so much of a headache today, and the lack of nausea was probably a good thing!

I got out of bed in time to find a shop open to sell me another One-Ticket for today, and travelled around the west side of Edinburgh, and West Lothian. After I'd left Nethergate News I saw the 16 coming on the other side of the road - Stagecoach 20151 - so got that to the bus station, clawing back 60p or so after yesterday! Then, form the bus station, the One-Ticket trip began for real.

From Dundee, I travelled on Stagecoach 52440 on the X54 from Dundee to Ferrytoll Park & Ride (0845 departure) which is on the north side of the Forth Bridges, just outside Edinburgh. The reason for the change of bus was that the X54 doesn't stop on the other side at the bridge tolls, so I had to change to a 747 or 55. I let the X50 go before I realised that ran into South Queensferry... never mind. I got 20336 across the bridge on the 55 to Forth Bridge Tolls, and walked up the ramps into South Queensferry Tesco, for the bus to Livingston via Broxburn, due off at 1129. When I got to Tesco, the bus (E&M Horsburgh Optare Solo YJ51XSL) was not due out for some time, but I could see it was already there - didn't think the diversion saved that much time! I took this as a good sign, but when I came out, the driver told me he was the 1029 departure not yet away, because he couldn't get it started! The irony being, if I'd got out of bed an hour earlier this morning, I'd still be stuck here now! Anyway, the cavalry arrived in the shape of YJ51XSO, and the mechanics van was still coming to attend to XSL in time. The driver apologised to the few who questioned where the last bus got to...

At Broxburn Main Street/Cardross/Strathbrock Partnership Centre, I got off the bus, and crossed the road, to get another similar bus from the same operator on Service 274, Livingston-Broxburn-Linlithgow, YK51XSN. This took me into Linlithgow, and I went for a nosey in the First enquiry office at the depot. Despite the office hours on the door posted as open until 1400, and the fact that there was over an hour to go, and staff inside, it was locked! Treating passengers with contempt as ever! After YJ51XSN had done it's town loop, I got it back through to Livingston town centre, and had a look around the shops. That "Cadbury World" store may be a bad find after all... even in the summer... at least right now I'd avoid chocolate purchasing as it would just melt... still ended up with some though!

From Livingston I took First Scania decker 36009 on the 27 to Hermiston, and crossed the road to the newish Park & Ride site. Services 25, 34 of Lothian come in here, as well as Stagecoach's X40 service towards The Gyle & Ferrytoll. Yes, I was heading for the former, so 34082 took me from Hermiston to The Gyle. Then, a case of Lothian Buses Volvo 131 on the 22 into Edinburgh city centre, having tea/supper/whatever you want to call it as long as it didn't make me sick - and it didn't! - before 52424 took me back on the X59 from Edinburgh to Glenrothes (picture of it arriving at Edinburgh on the previous run), before 20335 took me on the 24 to Cupar, and then MAN 22405 on the 42 from Cupar to Dundee - where I finally got to meet up with Graeme/TP2040! On the bus home, met Nagiv who used to be in our team at work, but is working elsewhere now. Apparently he'd wanted to come back full-time, but they didn't agree because he didn't have enough experience, despite a year of working part-time... but two of his friends who'd not worked there before got taken on!

Thoughts for the day - first time I've ever had an EMH bus break down on me, but as you can see it didn't cause too many problems. The lack of "exact fare" boxes, and allowing the drivers to have the radio on (even if it is pernamently fixed to Real Radio) seems to keep the passengers relaxed and entertained. First's "work avoidance" was another thing, but I will try them again some other trip. Whilst sitting down for "tea" - yes, quite rare to get me to sit down for any length of time I know - but anyway, I was sat next to an American couple who were on holiday, and they were discussing with a Euopean couple beside them. The two Americans then tried to work out each of the states... on the back of their reciept, I think they had a few left to go. Real world life is all around you.

If you still want to see all the bus pictures I took today, look here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home