Saturday, July 22, 2006

Saturday. WORK

... is a four letter word!

I signed onto the phones today in time for 1300 start, and had all the systems open in enough time to start my shift. Sometimes I can cut it a little fine, but some days are different for whatever reason - and on a Thursday or Saturday, depending which of the two buses I get (or three), I'd always arrive earlier than a Monday or Wednesday (no 54 you see).

As part of what we do, we are supposed to fill in a web form for every "unsolved" call. This is in addition to everything else we've been doing until now. As part of the enforcement, if you aren't using this, you will be given the usual coaching with your team coach/leader/manager/whatever they've called them this week.

40 minutes into my shift, and our on-duty team coach for the afternoon finds out only two such forms have been filled in all day. EVERYONE gets a counselling form - even me, and I've got mine open, just had no suitable calls on which to use it! I did object at the time, but was told to "go back to your seat"... then just over an hour later, I was told that I could get rid of mine, because he'd thought about it, and I'd not been in long enough. Shame was, I'd already filled it in, photocopied it, took a printed screen grab, and printed them out to take home with me, to complain about this later... Why? Not because of being right or wrong, but the number of calls waiting increased while we were all fannying around with paperwork that was not required (in all cases). The web form in question has recently been modified so that the name box (where you put your name) has been removed... yes, I'll let you explain to me how the hell they work it out. Apparently it comes from our profile names, which is weird when you send something to the printer how they all show up as the same...

Whilst at work, I found we'd had a small delivery of a publication called "North East Yearbook & Business Directory”, which I'd not seen before. I guess you've all seen the format - a mix of editoral and adverts. Here's a surprise - ClientLogic has a full page Editorial on Page 5! Bearing today in mind, read this quote... "...The team thrive in a young and dynamic environment, designed to motivate and encourage. ClientLogic is a modern company with a team based work ethic driven by the desire to make a difference for their clients; a positive outlook and a committed approach are pre-requisites. ClientLogic expects its employees to take ownership, make decisions and have the ability to make a positive impact on the results their clients seek”.

I do get asked a lot about my work, but I'm sometimes ashamed to explain some of these things. Think about this. For those of you who are in a relationship (even a virtual or online one), think of the number of times your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend/partner/significant other says "What did you do at work today"? Then, explain the above. And all the other [long string of expletives] we've had to put up with of late.

Two things to keep me sane in all this...
1. That "special person" of mine also works in telecoms, so he's seen it all before! ...and...
2. Just THREE more shifts to go, Monday, Wednesday and Friday - then I'm off for TEN days - for the price of five!

I can see the good in everything, and everyone. Even if it's got a sign above it showing "EXIT"...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home