Saturday, September 23, 2006

Not a fun Saturday

So, what can I say about today? Following the last few days, realised I couldn't go into work like this, so called in sick. Then, getting sweats, and my inhalers aren't lasting for any more than a few minutes. Every time I move or do anything, I start coughing and choking. There's stuff going everywhere (like you really wanted to know that), so there is yet more irony - as if there hadn't been enough this week. Now, for out of hours medical services, you first phone NHS24 i.e. a call centre. So I wasn't well enough to go into my own, but I had to call one for help. The god of irony is working overkill on me right now, I swear it! They managed to find my records (which was good, given that my voice was rather low), and after a few questions, asked me to attend the out of hours practice in Dundee, less than a mile away. Easily just a short bus ride away - in the circumstances, it's not suitable for a walk! I arrived, got buzzed in, and then as I arrived, the hoover was going. That set my head off...

Expecting to see the place mobbed, I was very suprised to find that I was the ONLY patient in the waiting area! As part of the diagnosis, they checked my blood pressure and pulse, only to find them substantially raised on normal. This was blamed on the decongestants that I’d been taking over the last few days (in a vain attempt not to miss any work), so that is something else I now need to lay off! That was caused by a simple, over-the-counter remedy that is sold everywhere. Now, if I’d kept taking these all weekend until whenever next week that I got my own doctors, what would have happened? I dread to think!

I was in and out in just over 30 minutes, with prescriptions for steroid pills and antibiotics. Even met a couple of friends in Boots, whilst going for the medicine on the way home (well I guess I had to, didn't I?), and then headed for home to recover.

There has been a lot of criticism in the press etc. against NHS24 (it's called NHS Direct in England & Wales), although I can only say in my experience, that it worked well. I'd hope I never have to use the service again, but that's in a good way! If I ever had to, I'd have even less
hesitation than I did today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home