Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Suzy’s day of surprises

In my horoscope in the Metro newspaper yesterday, it said something about me having an extra boost of self-confidence today (well, yesterday), as well as a few others, which I found apt. As I was outwith the publication area, I couldn’t check today, but that’s irrelevant. I had quite a few surprises today…

First things first, and a very early speech therapy appointment at Ninewells at 1010. Where we left off last time was that some basic aspects were starting to come together, but I definatly did not need to speed up my speech, which is normally part of the course! The main thing I’ve been struggling with – and this is what I think keeps putting me back – was pitch. It’s like when you try to climb a fence for the first time, and need a “leg-up” or similar. Now we’d been at this point for some time, and discussions today centred on this, obviously, being one of the main things.. I am starting to be able to tolerate the sound of my own voice, as this has always been something I’ve hated. Then, Sally advised that she had two cancellations tomorrow, did I want to come back? Well, I took the 1145 slot, so I hopefully should be out of there for 1230. She also discussed this being with students, but I didn’t object to that… as ever, I’m not really sure what they could learn from me, but you never know! I got another sheet of words, and I said I would practice on pitch alone – leaving everything aside for just one time – so we can see how I get on concentrating on the hardest of all the aspects for me to change. I think of a plan, and hope work is going to be quiet enough…

… I then proceed to Tesco South Road by bus (newly diverted Service 14), and phone Paul on the way regarding the Travel Dundee timetables (still awaiting my printed copies for work!) I had also had a text message from him last night, advising of a few changes to the published timetable… and now it turns out, the 28/29 booklet is to be reprinted entirely. Having just done 20,000 or however many it was in two-colour, the new ones will stand out in being full (four) colour! (the two-colour was initially to save money, ironically…)

… I get to work, and I’m feeling really good, really happy. I’m starting to get a little tired, but I’ve still got tomorrow to go too, then I can recover on Friday! I approach my team coach (Nikki) before I sign on, and say I’d need to speak to her, and the agency, ideally at some point of today. She says to me “It’s not going to affect this new work is it?” “What new work?” Turns out our team is going onto some new work that the company has picked up… but shortly after, she double checks, and tells me that those classed as part-time, are moving onto another team coach from next week (including me!). I remind her that she still cannot get out of what I’ve got to tell her, and as it happened, she did lay aside time for me after a new managers meeting, but then the agency were busy, so I cut it short to just advising I may be a little late tomorrow, and then I will explain all tomorrow. Can you guess what I’ve got to tell them?

The team changes took me by surprise – especially as everyone was only starting to fit in, and we were all getting used to our new team bays, created two weeks ago! Never mind, I’m sure I will get over it. Not sure yet who I will be getting, I will ask again tomorrow.

Anyway, it soon got quiet at work, meaning I could practice on some of the pitch exercises between calls, and then use it live on each call… a few minutes of each, each time... and it started to work, so I kept at it… and I also flagged down anyone passing on breaks etc. for a quick chat. I was starting to tell a marked difference in my voice, and starting “high” appeared to be not so much of a problem – especially if I started with an O (oh) or an I. So, perhaps cheating slightly, if someone asked for their username, I’d start with… “It’s A-number-number…” etc – and that helped. By the end of the evening, I felt I’d made genuine progress. Even on one call when I got caught unawares, I didn’t “think” to alter the way I sounded – but it still sounded a little bit better than the old “male” voice of mine. It’s taken a long time in respect to speech (and I know getting my teeth fixed will help!), but I feel I am now starting to hear the first more significant changes.

Despite it being a day of surprises, I’m very happy – but knackered by the end! I did log on once I got home, and did a quick google search to try and find more on the surgeon I referred to before. Initial results show I’m going to be in good hands… will have a more detailed search tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home