Friday, November 03, 2006

Out & About

Post Number 500!

Another company paid up the amounts for a few jobs of recent work, and I had a full weeks pay for the first week in many, so I’ve got a pound or two to spend this week. This might surprise you, but I left the house a little later than I’d intended (after all, I had the time to properly wash my hair, and try to get it try again properly – hoping it does not rain!), and so was still shopping just before the Overgate closed! Had even more things to attend to than I did on Wednesday, but I couldn’t really find a suitable costume for this evening’s party.

So what did I get? I’ve bought a Dictaphone, for the first time (why did word change that to a capital D?), so I can use it to progress on the speech therapy work. I also bought a DVD burner, so I could do an easier back up (it’s getting close to one year since what I might as well call
Destruction Day 2006, so I want to be prepared!) If I told you that the DVD-RW only cost £5.01 more than the Dictaphone, you’d probably be surprised, either that or I got a good deal! I could not find a suitable one in Argos, got offered a kids tape recorder which was a little too tacky and camp even for me, and there again it wasn’t exactly what I’d call portable. I can’t be the only person in Dundee that needs a tape recorder, though? Still it came with a 30 minute tape, so no need to spend even more to get going!

I’d also bought one or two other items I needed – like I found someone via eBay who can supply a replacement cover for my mobile. There is nothing wrong with it, just the outer casing is really badly worn – a crack over the screen (the actual phone display is ok), and only one of the corner snaps to hold it together work! Proof that what I buy usually takes a hammering – speaking of which, the digital camera is now on well over 8,100 pics in less than two years… and could also do with a retirement, but I’ve not got that kind of cash right now! (So whilst spending a few pounds on the phone can be done, large-scale replacement is not an option! I’m not that well off, but it is cash I’ve earned over the last few months).

Anyway, I digress… the DVD writer kept banging my knees as I ran around the town, but then when I finally got home, the biggest carrier bag was my prescription collection… a nice sad reality of the facts!

I finished getting ready, and changed into the longer skirt for going out. Skirt & top – not quite a costume – but last year’s policy was “costume or bottle”, so I will stop at Tesco on the way by! This is the one that was put in for repair on Wednesday, and I really cannot find where the repair was done, it seems to have been “hidden” very well! Obviously I can see where the button was replaced, but that is something else…

… left home, went via Tesco, and then as I walked into Commercial Street, there was a 9 just pulling up (ok, so I timed it well!) and headed for
Lisa’s party.

Whoever designed the street layout of Menzieshill should have been shot, as I came across various vandalised signs etc. whilst I looked for the right street. Got to the house – remembered from last year there is nothing on the door – but someone else’s name is there now… so, walked back to Dickson Avenue, and walked off the road, rather than the footpath. Checked my address book again – only to realise I was one number out on the address… and I’d already been there, and walked around in a U shape for 30 minutes… got there, and the party was in full swing! Do you know the phrase “a picture says a thousand words”? Well, you can see 38 of them
here

It was a Fancy Dress party, and a huge number of imaginative themes made me feel weird (going as “the bore” just didn’t cut it!) – still, I was dressed up last year! I used to work with Lisa until late last year when she left, and she is still at uni. The party was a mix of people from work (different departments), her friends from uni, a few locals, and friends and relatives of the above. Good to see a few of them again – especially Matthew and Rury/Ruarigh (spelling?) who has now started studying to join the Merchant Navy, and is now living back in Glasgow. I did stay sober throughout (as ever), and the party continued well into Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home