Tuesday, March 06, 2007

M80 Shuttle [Part One] – Suzy’s South Side Shuffle (or Dundee to Newton Mearns via Sandyford…)

As far as GIC appointments go, this was a fairly “routine” appointment – but, it worked out into quite an enjoyable day… even if panic set in a few times late afternoon!

I left the house for the 0800 direct bus to Glasgow (M9 service). You may recall that I mentioned back in October that some new extra-long “megacoaches” were due for Citylink and Megabus work around now. Some entered service yesterday – including on this very journey – but for some reason, I got a Neoplan (50137) for this journey. Perfectly serviceable at less than two years old, and lots of seats for everyone – especially when taken with a single deck Edinburgh duplicate! We got into Glasgow just before 1000, and it was “drop-in” by 1100, so I’d booked off the whole day.

It seemed a lot quieter than the previous visits, and defiantly quieter than my November visit! I was one of the last to arrive, but there was still a bit of a wait (see previous notes of visits – currently only two doctors). Once it was my turn, I met Doctor Westwater for the first time! Quick run-down on what’s happened, and discussion where he agrees to chase the referral letter that his colleague Dr Ewan had sent a few weeks before (I saw it for the first time – last time I was there, the funding letter had not long came back). Dr Ewan had agreed to fill in the docs bit of the gender recognition cert paperwork, and I had thought that they would have ended up lost in the post. But no, the form was in a safe place – still in my file, untouched. He’s promised to have it completed, and ready in time for me to collect on Friday – not this Friday, but in two weeks time when I return. That then resolves the issue of it getting “lost”…

So, that was the end of that. Another step on the line. Little moments that make up my future. Another brick in the wall. Whatever you want to call it…

61439 was on the 57 from Charing Cross to Central Station, and texts sent out to those I was meeting! In the meantime I had lunch (chatted to someone online via wap messenger… I am beginning to get hooked on that). Shortly afterwards, I could see the Stationery Box store has been acquired by Partners – with “new lines all the time” – and yes, they do have the plastic covered three-colours A5 size ring binders here… no need to carry them home from Manchester or London any more!

While I was chatting, I had thought about a new phone and/or camera. I could just about scrape a few pounds for a replacement for my mobile phone. Why? The phone is fine, but the case is very worn – all corners. Only one of the four clips on the phone cover still holds together. I bought two replacement covers some time ago, but they do not work with the keypad – which is so worn out, it has gone back to its natural transparent state! That, and the display cover has a crack from one side to the other… which could be replaced, but almost impossible to find a working replacement. The digital camera I have is starting not to turn on…

in short, I need a new brick. “Brick” to use a technical term, is the name I use for Adam’s phone… until he replaced the M-Gage with a Sony Ericsson, but by this point the name had stuck! So, mine is a brick too, in speaking terms. I guess it’s maybe a metaphor that my brick is not in one piece… oh no I said BRICK… what’s the matter with you lot? Lol I was going to say, always going to be broke – like the owner!

So, I had a look around in a few surrounding shops… and I saw something I would like in a local phone retailer. This required £29.99 plus another £10 top-up – to be paid by card, so this meant I had to put the money I’d withdrawn earlier, back into the bank.

Now, for anyone else, this would be easy enough.

But, give a combination of someone-in-a-hurry-who-wants-the-job-done, as I was meeting someone in less than 20 minutes, and someone evidently hungry for a sale, it made for an interesting transaction. I was called over to the last of the desks (finally), and handed over the card and the money. I handed over £30, and said that I’d like to pay in £25 of this

Are you at work today”?

No, day off…”

Is this your account that you are paying into?” (no, I’ve just nicked someone’s handbag and I feel sorry for them….)

Yes…”

then, she tries to sell me an account upgrade. Twice I tell her I am not interested, but she continues to ask questions!

Do you live in Dundee then?”

for the third time, I explained that I would soon be off work for some time, and this was the reason I didn’t want to make any changes to the account right now.

(…any more questions, and I’ll give her the detailed version of gender reassignment surgery – she looked like she’d just finished lunch…)

Oh sorry…”

I was then very quickly ”processed” with no further questions, and given a pay-in receipt for £30.

Oh dear.

Go back to the beginning of this conversation – I wanted change of that…

Now, sign another slip, to withdraw £5 of the £30 I’ve just put back in…

then, around the corner back to phone store… none in stock… quick look on the computer said that none of their city centre stores had any, but the one in Newton Mearns (about 45 minutes south of the city centre by bus) had some in stock!

I met up with Bobby shortly afterwards, and he was telling me the time he was able to get revenge on said bank. When one of their staff members came into the travel centre in uniform, he momentarily put up his “Position Closed” sign, then (in a very smiley and unusually camp manner) said “Sorry for keeping you waiting…” yes – I loved it! Being his day off, we were able to chat for close to an hour and a half, in the same coffee house that we ended up in during November! We discussed recent developments at both sides of our worlds, including his recent purchase of a HDTV and matching Sky HD box…

So, we left the coffee shop, and he headed north towards Watt Brothers. I then cut through Central Station, and emerged onto Union Street. There was a Gemini decker coming towards the stop on the 44A, which would be fine for getting me to Newton Mearns. 32608 took me down, and shortly after Clarkston, a red Bristol VR, with blinds set to TB1 Renfrew, goes the other way. Shortly after, we arrived at what is actually called (the name above the door) “The Avenue Shopping Centre”. Rung bell in plenty of time, driver continues to next stop anyway. Grr…!

Anyway, got in, located the store, yes they have some in silver (not pink). At that price, who’s caring I guess! So yes - it’s a Motorola L6. Very slim, 0.6-megapixel camera (fine for small shots) – all enough to keep me going and clicking in the meantime! Cheap and cheerful – like the owner…

so, then, had to get the bus home. There was a 44A due, but there is also a 38 shortly after, that would take me closer towards the bus station (well Cathedral Street), as well as a more direct route. See what turned up first – a Henderson Travel Optare Solo on the very orbital Service 395 (Uplawmoor – East Kilbride). Hmm, not helping! Next bus comes along – same Gemini and driver on the 44A. I resist the urge to whinge about not dropping me off at the right stop as I board, largely because I’ve got the “about to be withdrawn from service” mobile phone on the ear, speaking to Paul H about bank holiday arrangements which varied in Dundee, Dudley and Birmingham…

I had got on the bus just before 1700 at Newton Mearns, so it would be tight to get off the bus in time for the booked bus back at 1800. So, I had a brainwave- jump off at Bridge Street subway… 3-4 min journey up to Buchanan Street, two stops away. In theory… I arrived on the platform, only to see the rear of an Inner Circle train pulling away. The Outer Circle train came… and then another… I could hear a train rattling in… the Inner Circle platform had a green aspect (go light), but the OC was on red… then it changed, and seconds later, the third Outer Circle pulls in to the island platform. I was beginning to get a bit concerned, so I spoke to the train operator who radio’ed into control… apparently yes, there was a ”gap” in service, and the next train was at West Street i.e. approaching. Naturally, the train was busy, got loaded at St Enoch, and almost mobbed at Buchanan Street. The platform helper was announcing on the pa that there was another train just behind this one, and not to overcrowd the train. Quite a lot of passengers were in the stairs down to the platform, never mind getting anywhere near the train!

So, got out with ten minutes or so to get around the corner. Got up to the Bus Station – no sign of the 1800 Dundee M8 [all stops] coach. It’s not in yet… but it came in with one minute to spare. A quick driver change, and I was on Parks KSK 978. As we pulled away from Buchanan Bus Station Glasgow, a few minutes down, I was kind of pleased … to have defeated adversity – three times in one hour, as well as the general good/happy/content feelings that mixed through the day. We were back on time when we got to Cumbernauld.

I will be back on Friday, but with work for afters.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home