Saturday, December 25, 2004

Christmas Eve Friday, 24 December

Well, Christmas Eve, and just to emphasize the non-stop atmosphere it has been this week...

I got up reasonably sharpish and made it out the door via somewhere for a bite to eat. The post was delivered reasomably early, allowing me to see my payslip before I left... mmm, that'll do.... After last week anything would be good, but that was better.

Bus to work, then got into work and signed in. Shift 1030-1400, but the list said 1100-1430.... Well I'd been told the latter, and I'd been telling everyone the former, and no-one corrected me... Anyway we were busier in the morning than the afternoon anyway.

Just before 1400, the snow started... So I left at 1400 in the snow. Was able to stop in town for a few things, mostly for myself but hey why not... Then first of a couple of trips back home - then out for food, then back in.....

Around 1920 went downstairs to the pub. Not something I do often, but the boss and a colleague were meeting for "a few pints" and the rest of the team were invited (last Tuesday in the team meeting). As it was Xmas Eve, £2.50 to get in, BUT £1 a pint thereafter... As I was on Pepsi it made the night fairly cheap at £2.90 a round... It was the first time I'd sat still for long enough all week...

Well, after 6/7 rounds between the three of us, and at around 2320, the boss was going for a cab home, so I went upstairs. I could still hear the music three floors up...

I crossed over into Christmas chatting with a friend from the states until about 0110, when the phone rings. A friend, who lives in West London, was going to his family in Wales for Christmas, via Hereford.... Turns out his sister backed out on picking him up the 39 miles or so from there, and he was walking... 9 miles into it, and it was snowing... About 10mins later, he calls back, asking me to find him a taxi on the web..... He tried a number I got for him, before calling back to ask for another... £96 he was quoted for the 30 mile trip, but he managed to knock them down to £75. Ironically last week he was telling me about the Christmas eve he gave someone a cheapie on Christmas Eve (when he was a minicab driver) - Swindon to Earls Court for £200........

So, just before 2am, I finally got to bed. Long lie tomorrow, I don't care!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home