Friday, February 23, 2007

Twenty Hours In One Day

I woke up at "silly o'clock" right enough! 0500 UK time! (Some of my American readers may have not gone to bed by that point!) Had to book my tickets (paid today), and the site is down each morning but I couldn't remember until when - turns out it was 0400-0700. So, went back to bed for an hour, didn't sleep but did manage to relax. Thinking of everything at once! Got up around 0620, stayed on the pc for a bit, went for coffee and a shower, had to do my hair as I'd not done it on Thursday! Then came out the shower at 0710, got my seats booked, got dried off, dry hair, out the door, got some "breakfast" from Tesco, before heading for the bus to Glasgow at 0800.

Yesterday, the M80 (main road from Dundee/Stirling to Glasgow) was closed from 0100 to about 1900 after a truck did something a bit silly, and jacknifed the truck into the gantry, trapping a car with it. Nothing like that today, which is good... sometimes the weekly appointment system can be useful!

This gets me in for 0953, and I manage to get around to Bath Street (for bus to Sandyford) and on it for 1001. I arrive at Sandyford 1010. I did tell Alex (the counsellor) that I may be late this week , but I managed to be not too bad in the end. We largely discussed my childhood - and a different way to look at some of what I have endured. I have another two appointments spread over the coming weeks, to add to the GIC visit (in the same location) on Tuesday 6th March.

I got out at 1120, and turned my phone on. I was meant to be meeting up with the West End Poet (I do try where I can!), but he's had something else occur. Never mind, not to worry, I shall be back at least three times next month, so plenty of opportunity!

So, I got some things around Glasgow city centre. Found a store in the Savoy Centre doing a nice range of cheap sweets, but also a small range of model buses in the cabinet. Will be back no doubt one day...

I had lunch at the only A&W's in Scotland (combined A&W/KFC at the top of Renfield Street) - but after next week, it becomes a "plain" KFC only store. No! ...Afraid to say it is! So, from there, stopped at Sainsbury's, before heading for the bus back to Dundee, leaving at 1330. At this point I will have been up for eight and a half hours, with a lot more still to go!

One of the stories that I read in the Metro, and on WEP's blog for yesterday, was that Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT) are contracting First to run a "Subway Nightrider" - a night bus service that follows a circular router, at times when the Glasgow Subway is not running. This will provide a "through the night" service on Friday night into Saturday morning, Saturday night into Sunday morning, and Sunday evenings when the Subway finishes about 1800 usually. There will be a flat fare of £2.00 - double the daytime Subway train fare - to use the Nightrider service, which will commence on 20 April 2007

The SPT website explains the story, and quotes Cllr Watson as saying "It may not quite be David Hasselhoff's car Kitt from the original Nightrider but the Subway Nightrider will provide a comfortable and safe journey home for people travelling late at night"

After reading the Evening Times and the Metro, I got the cracked old mobile out, fired up Messenger to chat with a certain person who has been good at supporting me in the last few weeks... and we chatted right through to Dundee... and Jay, as ever, you have been wonderful! Almost about as low-tech hi-tech that you can get (i.e. via GPRS and WAP), but it still allowed us to bridge almost four thousand miles! You can be alone in the middle of no-where, yet still feel together!

I made it into Dundee, and hotfooted it to the Seagate for a bus to work. Got in for 1600 hours - 15 minutes earlier than last week because I pre-bought my food ("lunch") at Sainsbury's in Buchanan Galleries Glasgow, rather than in Dundee city centre. Got in just as the boss was doing the timesheets to take down to the agency... By this point, I have now been up for 11 hours.

I got signed into the computer and phone system, and then I got called over for my performance review for January! Bear in mind I was depressed, coming off the Androcur etc. and everything else, I was a bit concerned. In the few seconds it took to walk from my own desk to the relevant manager's desk, that was all - then, I was happy when I saw the result - 21/30! That is somewhat good, but February may be a little lower. At this point, I'd been up for just over 12 hours. I then went back to my own desk, which was beside the window, looking out onto Riverside Avenue. I could hear someone's car alarm going off, so I got up to have a quick look. I put my left and on the right-hand side of a large A1 size whiteboard, placed horizontally on the windows ledge, but without any fixed support. By the time I realised it wasn't fixed to anything, it was heading for the floor.... I tried to grab it with the hand, and thus noise ensued, and everyone else looking in my direction.... I then tried to rescue it, but it slipped, more noise! Got it back on ledge single handed, and everyone went back to what they were doing, and I went for my break before I could cause nay more damage!

Yes, clumsy as ever, but what can you do! The duty desk person asked if I was alright... but I think it was more a "more noise than damage" thing.

How come this gets more blog space than anything else that happened today? Well, what's life if you can't have a laugh at yourself sometimes?

Headed for my break at 1815 (just over 13 hours up), and tried to explain the whiteboard incident to one of the team coaches that missed it...

We actually got unusually busy - for a Friday evening - more so than I would have expected. By the back of eight, it was all over though. I made it to the end, in one piece, and finished bang on 2300 (by this point, up for eighteen hours). Pleased with my week, and progress (excluding whiteboards), and marginally happier this week than I was this time last week, I decided that I could just about stretch to a pizza takeaway, and I'd not had one from the local kebab shop (Corfu) for some time. I've noticed my appetite appears to be coming back... but it comes and goes... but I managed to demolish the lot, and ended up in bed around 0100 - twenty hours up in the end.

Tired, but happy.

p.s. No whiteboards were harmed in todays events.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home