Tuesday, January 24, 2006

At home

Yes, a quiet day. If you are reading this, then my experiment of doing a typed document in OpenOffice, then saving it as a doc, putting it on a CD-RW, and taking it to a web cafe, has worked! (later - in the end, it didn't, and I had to try again the next day!) Shame I'm currently reduced to this, but there we go!

Remember on w/c 12 December, I had something bad every day for the week? Well, in the last seven days since I've been off work, I've had something good happen every day. Well, positive, or at least, not negative. That's a good way to turn my life around.

First screaming tommorrow who tries the personal “none of you lot care about us” s#ite will get the RLS (end call) key! I'm having a good time!

Unfortunately, today's announcement (right in the heart of a by-election too!) means Lexmark are now also claiming costs are too high. All the recent Lexmark ink i'd bought (I used to have two of theirs at one time, including the 2030 which I had from 1998 to 2004!) had been “Made in Philippines”. The fax still has one, although that's never used, so refilling won't be needed for a while. The “faith” in my Epson CX3200 (misplaced faith?) was that it wouldn't print, claiming to be “empty” - despite claiming to have 10% in it when I used it last! Still never mind, it's less than £3 a pair. Even with this week's budget being stretched beyond redemption, I should still be able to reach £1.50 or so for a black.

Printer firm cuts 700 jobs
Computer printer firm Lexmark has announced it is to axe 700 jobs with the closure of a manufacturing plant. The factory in Rosyth, Fife, which produces inkjet cartridges, will be shut down by the end of the year. Further cuts are expected to be announced at the US-based company's offices in Marlow, Buckinghamshire. The losses at Rosyth have been blamed on high production and maintenance costs at the site. Around 500 employees will go by the end of April before the plant is shut down at the end of the year. The news has come as a major setback for Labour, which faces a crucial by-election in the area…
General manager of the plant Alan Spiers said in a statement that the company "truly regret" the loss of jobs. He added: "While we do not have the ability to change the impact of technology or economics, we nevertheless recognise the challenges facing our employees and their families.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home