Sunday, August 27, 2006

Sunday In Perth

I was through in Perth for the day – with the intent on touring as well as shopping. Whilst there I got a text message to inform me that a good friend called Ron Doig had died - we knew it was coming because the poor old guy had been this way for a while. He was 77.

Today was the last Sunday of the Perth Vintage Vehicle Tour, but it is also running for one day tomorrow i.e. Monday 28th, for the bank holiday weekend. Since the Routemaster (EDS 50A) arrived at Perth, they’ve stuck with that for what turned out to be the rest of the season. You can see all the pictures here
, from the last Sunday in service this year.

Then, I had the chance to do some things I’ve not done before. I’ve always admired Diamond Geezer’s ramblings through various parts of mostly East London, explaining what he sees through researched articles and pictures. Perth must be (after London) the place I’ve spent most time, passed through most often – after Dundee of course.
I’d passed Branklyn Gardens, Moncrieffe Island and Barnhill Toll many hundreds of times (remember I used to work in Perth for several months 1998-1999), and I’d only just noticed on a recent trip all the lettering on the side of the old toll booth is still visibile – I will go back to that another day. There are is also a lot of walking potential around the Hill, but again that too can be for another day.
I had a look into Branklyn Garden (see this picture, and subsequent shots). When the woman serving on the counter asked if I’d been before, I explained that I had not, but passed it many times! She said she’d been told this from lots of visitors, who see the signs, but never get the chance to go in. (This is where stopping buses prove more useful than non-stop, in my case, but there is a car park for other visitors). Lots of stuff I’d never seen before, and we are just feet away from the main Dundee Road.
I left the Gardens, crossed over Dundee Road, and pointed myself facing towards Bridgend/the north. The sign shows the location of the footbridge which runs from Dundee Road (beside the former Hillside Hospital , and then comes to an “abrupt” end. You then turn a sharp right past the signage, and then join an iron footbridge which is part of the railway line. This is the first part of the view upriver, and then (in the next picture) you can see the footbridge as I can . The church in the background will be passed later. As you start walking across the iron bridge, you can see a “pink house” further up from the old hospital. You then make it halfway, with a set of stairs for those going to/from Moncreiffe Island and golf course - not the scheme to which buses 5 & 6 operate…
As you walk over the bridge over the second part of the Tay, you can look south towards the “roundhouse” (the old tourist information centre in the mid 1980’s), and look towards Perth and the Queen's Bridge.
There is also a south-east look, looking back towards the golf course. As you make it closer to the end of the bridge, you then can see Tay Street and the churches, you then come down a set of steps, onto Tay Street itself.
After a few moments pause on one of the benches (I’m sure there was one, or was it a ledge?) on the side of Tay Street, I headed northwards to the lights
looking towards the Queens Bridge (this is the one for buses back to Dundee, Aberdeen and Blairgowrie), I then did a bit more exploring on foot, via Canal Street, Fleshervennell?, Watergate past the McEwans stores, before walking along the High Street end-to-end almost, down New Row, and into Leonard Street for the Bus Station. Then headed for home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home