Wednesday, January 24, 2007

What else can I squeeze in?

I had a really long day yesterday, which ended up getting longer… and I was up for a very long time, and into the morning. I had every intention of going into work, but I ended up getting in 45 minutes late, running out of time!

The Courier had a more detailed story on what happened in yesterday's Ardler bus crash...

"A DUNDEE WOMAN spoke of her miraculous escape last night after she came face to face with a bus moments before it crashed into her Ardler home.
A shocked and shaken Jessie Sword told The Courier she feared a plane had crashed outside her Rosemount Road home before realising a Travel Dundee bus had swerved off the road, slamming into the front of her house.
As well as considering herself extremely lucky to walk away, the 61-year-old said she could not believe approximately 20 bus passengers and those inside a 4x4 hit during the incident had escaped with minor injuries.
She said she was working on her computer all day in her two-bedroom semi-detached home and decided to take a break and watch a film on TV.
"It's not something I usually do, I was just sitting in the living room at around 4.30pm when I heard this enormous bang.
"My blinds were closed and I got up because I thought something must have happened outside on the street, but staring me in the face was a bus and the bus driver staring right back at me.
"It literally shook the house as it impacted, I turned and ran away towards my kitchen to get away. I didn't know what to do-it was just all too unreal to be real. I tried phoning 999 but the bus had knocked out the phone line. I felt trapped but I went back to the front of the house and saw my neighbours Wendy and Brian, they helped me get out and took me back to their house."
Paramedics gave Ms Sword the all clear last night-however she was extremely concerned about the future of her much loved home.
"I've been living there for almost five years and I really like my house. In all the confusion one of my first thoughts was I need to phone Sanctuary and find out what's happening?"
However, it seems Ms Sword will be forced to live elsewhere for the time being as Dundee City Council structural engineers confirmed her own and her neighbour's house were structurally unsafe.
A representative from Sanctuary visited Ms Sword last night to ease her fears that she would be homeless.
Instead she assured her every effort was being made to find her a hotel for the night before accommodation in the Ardler area was secured today.
Ms Sword added, "I'm extremely grateful for the emergency services' help as they have been really great.
"It's such a shock, but I'm extremely thankful to have walked out alive."
Those in the bus and 4x4 appear to have escaped without serious injury.
Sixty-four-year-old Jim Falconer was on board and told The Courier he was making his usual trip home to Fintry on the circular route from nearby Dunsinane Industrial Estate.
Mr Falconer added, "There were maybe 15 to 20 of us on the bus. A lot of the usual faces get the same bus every night, people from Remploy and a few others.
"We had turned onto Rosemount Road when there was a sudden bang. I was sitting at the back of the bus and could see clearly that we were swerving across the road towards Gullane Avenue before we hit another vehicle and careered off through the metal fencing into the house.
"It all happened in slow motion. There was a tremendous bang when we hit the house and everyone got thrown forwards, but it seems as though no one was badly injured.
"The 4x4 had a man and two young girls inside, but they seemed to be fine. Everyone on the bus was extremely shaken, but a lot of people phoned relatives and were picked up quite quickly.
"I can't believe everyone has walked away from this. How the driver didn't get hurt I just don't know, I think we are all extremely fortunate."
Macalpine Road watch manager Rab Middlemiss said emergency services had arrived to a chaotic scene as passengers of both vehicles had escaped out onto the street to be joined by shocked neighbours rushing out to see what had happened.
He said, "We cordoned off the area and quickly ascertained that there was nobody trapped within the house, the bus or the 4x4.
"Firefighters helped paramedics to carry out medical assessments and six people were taken by ambulance to hospital-a further three were treated at the scene. We ensured all utilities were accounted for and electric, gas and water was turned off."
He said the injuries appeared to be no more than cuts, bruises and extreme shock, adding that firefighters had helped to ensure the integrity of the building as Dundee City Council engineers arrived.
Last night police and representatives from the Department of Transport were collating crash data at the scene while city council structural engineers put safety easures in place to protect the house's structure after the bus was towed away.
A police spokesman for confirmed Rosemount Road had been reopened shortly after 7.30pm following the bus's removal from the house and garden.
The scenes bore a resemblance to an incident involving the home of Christina Roberts in 2004.
The SNP councillor and her family were lucky to escape without injury when a Travel Dundee bus with 20 aboard collided with two cars, demolished a garden wall and fence before ending up embedded in the kitchen at their Happyhillock Road home.
Phil Bateman, divisional corporate affairs manager for Travel Dundee, said, "Travel Dundee has been made aware of the accident at Rosemount Road in Dundee.
"It is our understanding that a number 92 Travel Dundee bus collided with a house at around 16.46 and that several passengers have been taken to hospital.
"We are co-operating with the police and are conducting an investigation in tandem with theirs to discover the cause of the accident. We have no more information at this time, but we hope to have more once the incident has been fully investigated."
Penny Porter, spokeswoman for Scotland Gas Network, said, "We were called to the site of the accident at Rosemount Road as an emergency precaution.
"When the bus hit it caused slight damage to the external meter box, so as a safety precaution this box was removed.
"The box has no connection to any gas main and there was no danger to the public at any time." "

Slightly pedantic, but the 92 was withdrawn a few years ago (2002/2003?)… it was Service 93, which (because it only runs once a day, doesn't appear on most bus stops, and doesn't have a timetable leaflet of its own) is somewhat of a mystery to some... and it's not quite a circular, but follows a similar sort of passage to the 9/10/11/12 Outer Circle services.

Work was not too bad - I'd expected worse. [edit]
Then, after a ten hour shift (1300-2300, one hour more than usual!) I went home.


(later edited)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home