Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Androcur Made Me Do It

I got the 0720 Citylink from Dundee. Weather wise, Dundee was ok, Glasgow was ok, but there were some snowy bits in between around Stirling/Cumbernauld. As the M8 was the usual weekday morning car park, we were 18 minutes late in, so I called them to let them know I'd be late around (we got into Glasgow 0953, not 0935).

Once I got in, gave them my details etc. and Dr John Ewan was ready to see me, almost immediately (this was an appointment, not a drop-in). I got there just after 1010, and my appointment ran until about 1135 - quite a while in the end. I couldn't tell him everything that I'd been up to (since last November), but included all the good, and bad bits. I explained about the feelings I'd had, stopping Androcur, all the stuff we'd already discussed earlier on. He said it was reasonable to have stopped Androcur in the circumstances. I asked about changing it for Finasteride, and we talked a bit more about things, and he then agreed to this. He then explained that they'd had the funding approval (for surgery) back from NHS Tayside last month (shortly after, he tried to check on as to what was happening next, but no information).

I went back to the subject of the Androcur, and he explained that out of those who take an anti-androgen, it's about 50/50 each in terms of those who take Androcur vs. Finasteride. Later he admitted that Androcur can have the effects similar to what I had - depression, upset, tiredness etc. He remembered I mentioned headaches and upset from the time before, when I visited. We discussed the dates that I'd felt bad, and I asked about the possibility of changing the Provera. Initially, he said that was it, but I then suggested Duphaston. He stopped for a moment (on what he was about to say about provera vs. provera), and then explained what this was, and then we agreed that he would write to my GP, to change the Provera & Androcur for Finasteride & Duphaston.

I then explained that I'd recently become aware of the Laser (hair removal) facilities locally, and asked about referral. He agreed to this, as he felt that the face hair is still be a "problem" for me to overcome. In the past, I didn't think I had enough hair to make it work, and although lots have changed recently, the light/dark balance appears to be right. He will be writing the referral shortly. We then talked about work, amongst other things, but largely work. He asked how they had taken the news about surgery etc. being in the near future, and I explained what they'd said, and offered etc. He also asked how settled things were in terms of work (remember this time last year, we had the threat of off shoring over our heads). I explained about recent developments at work (right up to yesterday/next Monday!), and the fact that from the time I'd seen him last in November, up to starting on the email team Next Monday, I'd had six team coaches! In regards to my voice, he said progress had been made! I then went back to the subject of the GRP, and he mentioned again what I'd said before pre-op applicants and stuff. I explained that I'd heard of a few who had managed, so I was willing to try, and to get it out the way. I left him a copy of the form, which he is going to mail back to me.

One other issue that was brought up in passing - Professor Mizra, who was the psychiatrist who originally saw me way back in March 2005, has now retired (initially without direct replacement). That kind of makes me feel old! As with everything and everyone else, he wants me to stay positive etc. over the coming weeks and months... and that was it, and I was out, once again happy with my lot! [edit]

The rest of the day in the west, was good enough. Met up with Bobby in Glasgow, and used the rest of my FirstDay ticket around a bit of a loop around the south and the east... only for me to notice how inadvertently I'd done a similar trip to those I used to do when the Ailsa's were around! Today I had
Strathtay 52431 M8 Dundee - Glasgow BBS
First 69070 18 Bath Street - Sandyford
First 61697 57 Sandyford - Jamaica Street (he stopped without question this time - unlike November's driver who said "you want aff here?" after driving past the stop AFTER i'd rung the bell!)
Lunch, meet & greet
First 61469 45 Jamaica Street - Pollok building site/bus station
First 33406 22 Pollok bs - Braehead Shopping Centre
First 69041 Bullet (111 on Wayfarer) Braehead Shopping Centre - Partick
Subway car 118 Outer Circle Partick - Buchanan Street
Walk to George Square
First 31516 X1 George Square - BBS
R900 WCM M8 Glasgow BBS - Dundee

On the Bullet, as we approached Partick, I caught sight of a McKindless Excel parked up, with the driver looking towards the river, outside the bus. Turns out we'd caught site of the ship being launched! It's on the Evening Times website, according to the "dead tree" edition (Glasgow paper sellers still giving you a ton of freebies in return for trashing the planet...) The Bullet had seven or eight passengers, for anyone wondering! One was a reporter, sat at the back, who was on before the bus got to Braehead (from XScape I'd presume). He had got on the bus with the intent of snapping the events as they were going on, from the bus passing on the dual carriageway... and he was happy enough! So, turned it into quite a nice afternoon, if a little on the cool side.

After I got back to Dundee, news reached me via the Forum that there had been another bus smash, this afternoon in Ardler. Travel Dundee Optare Solo 201 was involved, on Service 93 (1615 from Tech Park to Douglas). While details were sketchy, the BBC News report said "Eight people have been hurt after a bus crashed into the front of a house in Dundee after a collision with a car. Six of the passengers on the bus and the occupant of the house had to be taken to hospital where they were treated for minor injuries. The accident happened late on Tuesday afternoon on Rosemount Road in the city's Ardler district. It is understood there was a woman in the house at the time. No-one has been badly injured."
[edit]

(later edited)

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home