Saturday, May 27, 2006

Operations Manger Job

I don't normally back down from a challenge. But after earlier in the week, I don't want to extend my stay in the current employment beyond finding a job with enough hours and income to let it go, so I've not appilied for operations manager. It may well have been a bit of a "joke", but I was serious - even if I saw myself as somewhat of a Screaming Lord Sutch type person… for the non-Brits, Lord Sutch ran the Monster Raving Looney Party, and he would stand in by-elections (called when the existing politicians snuffs it, or gets caught with his black bag and rope around his ankles - sometimes both), and came up with crazy ideas by our standards, but might be worth a try. When Sir Nicolas Fairbairn died, and the Perth & Kinross seat was up for grabs, his manifesto involved turning the castles in the area to a theme park, and renaming it Loonyland.

I would have loved to have surprised everyone, and defined th laws or logic and gravity, by succeeding, and taking the case for improving front line working conditions, and guaranteeing us more definite future, rather than just hanging on, and then looking for a slight pay rise, and perhaps some "premium" work i.e. back office type stuff, to add to the ever existing portfolio at Riverside House. Did you think that was loony?

What's loony? Standing up for British jobs and workers, or being a yes-person and telling the client what they want to hear? That's loony… shame they can't see things that way.

And they wonder why we walk out the door, sometimes never to return…

Oh, by the way, the agency phoned me yesterday, just on the way back through Freuchie on the X54. It's been checked - we WON'T be paid for bank holidays not worked, despite out contract. I just said "yeah ok", because I've not really got the time or the resources to think of a response. I'm away next week, so maybe afterwards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home