Thursday, June 01, 2006

Back to Dundee

I had a quiet few days away, but it's now time to go north.

The taxi was booked for 1000, and guess who turned up... that's right, the taxi driver (Keith) from Tuesday... who remembered me from Sunday, saying he wasn't working Tuesday... anyway, it was straight down the Wakefield Road (with no extra loops this time!) before dropping me adjacent to Barnsley Interchange.

After picturing one of a few Metrobuses left in YTC service, got another Class 140 through to Sheffield. There were two ways of doing this - train to Meadowhall (£2.60), then get a tram/bus Stagecoach Sheffield DayRider ticket for £2.70, or through train to Sheffield (£2.80) and get a single (£1.70) for the tram on the way back. I did the latter... (LATER I found that I could have had an all-Yorkshire day ticket for train and tram etc. for £3.95... so having thought I had a bargain, realised I didn't... but of course, if I had one of those, there would be a slight problem getting me back to Meadowhall in time for the bus north at 1255...)

I got to Sheffield (main railway) Station, which is being rebuilt, and made it to Sheffield Interchange (bus & coach station), now
I was going to take my bags with me, (there are lockers at Meadowhall), but there were also lockers here, which was good - £1 upwards for 24 hours. So, left the bags there (including those leaflets already picked up) to give me some time around the streets of Sheffield, and sights logged included former Bluebird 621 still in NatEx livery but running out of Stagecoach Warwickshire, Stagecoach Chesterfield Northern Counties bodied Volvo single deckers, an "old livery" Stagecoach Supertram (neither of the repaints were seen), a former Yorkshire Terrier bus with Stagecoach lettering (one of several), a First M29 with no destination (don't worry I hadn't zoomed back into Glasgow)...

I then got to the "Castle Gate zone", where big yellow plastic sheets were stuck over the stops, and on the glass of the shelters, to alter people to the fact it was closed. I was going to snap the glass, but it looks like someone was standing, waiting for a bus... not quite sure what the works were...

After that lot, I was surprised to see an ex-Fife bus going past as I left Wilkinsons... it's former Fife 658! I then snapped some others, including an ex-First Glasgow Dart, a once HAD Coaches Solo, and a former First Edinburgh Scania, before heading for my bags, and back out for tram 108 to take me to Meadowhall. Upon arrival, the toilets taps were still as they were, but the display screens had been fixed...

MAN coach 50053 left bang on time to take us north, and we stopped at High Brough filling station to refuel. By comparison to the southbound, the northbound journey arrived very early into Edinburgh - I think we had more than half an hour before filling up. We got to Broxen where Olympian 13624 took us onto Dundee... and started swaying heavily (despite an experienced driver) on the streteches of road after the "40mph average speed" cameras section. So much so that some who had paid to Aberdeen got off at Dundee and went for a train instead...

I got home, and was pleased to have had a good time away. Opened the post that I'd had waiting for me to come home to, including a letter re the job I'd been for last Friday... and I was unsuccessful. I will tell you now what it was, so it makes sense - it was a part-time service monitor for Stagecoach (Fife Scottish). The part-time was three hour shifts in Dundee, or one of three locations in north-east Fife, all within easy reach of Dundee. The only issue with my application was (and he did say this in the interview) was that I would be unavailbile for monitoring the evening peaks on four nights a week i.e. Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, when I work. The idea behind this was "extra" hours, as although part-time work would suit me well (with what is likely to happen in 2007-2008), I've tried it before (last time was not choice) and it didn't work, or did it? things were different then. Maybe one day. I do have some further ideas in planning though, so do keep watching.

For now, just a quiet relax, and back to work on Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home