Saturday, May 27, 2006

Let me introduce you…

To our new friends. I found all bar two of these blogs all directly or indirectly via Bus Driving, which is a blog of a Stagecoach Devon driver from Service 12, and includes his daily insight into life from behind the wheel.

Then came the London Underground blogs! which I loved reading through... The Bardic Lamp formerly had his blog here, but managed to delete it. Oops.

Anyway, he has a fantastic post from the
16th May, in which he gets to go to the track, and finds an object on the track which is interfering with service… reminds me of my now-legendary "we apologise for the delay and holding you in the tunnel… due to a coat hanger on the line…"

DSM's Log Book is from a Duty Station Manager from an unspecified group, somewhere out there. Perhaps worthy of note, apart from the fact that she's pregnant (congrats etc. all round), she owns a Routemaster which has been converted to a play bus, and it's for hire for any London area parties etc. you may be involved in planning…

District Driver has been driving trains on the "dark green" line for most of his time on the tube, having spent two years on the Jubliee Line before that (maybe he was the driver we halted)… anyway, I digress. His days on the tube are numbered, because he's about to move up north with his pregnant wife (contrats all round, again), and go back to the buses.

Rail Temp appears to work on the overground trains, making a nice change of reading direction. Don't worry, still plenty of gubbins on trains, tickets, passengers, politics etc.

LU Tube Diary has tonnes of tube stuff in it, including pictures of people on the tube. Warning, this one is very addictive!

The Great Orme is the diary of a station supervisor. I liked this, which I'd seen before, but still found touching.

I also found a few bus related blogs…
Route 79 is a diary of the life of a passenger, who has the occasional insight onto the life and times of Service 79, currently ran from First (ex CentreWest/Challenger) from Alperton garage, linking Edgware with Alperton, using low floor double deckers. The blog has more to do with the passenger than the service, which includes a variety of food items and recipies.

Omnibuses is a general bus blog, with most on the south-west of England

43 Bus Blog is one of two Manchester bus blogs I found, both relating to passengers. The other was Bus Rider Blog, who also has had problems with PayPoint outlets losing the laminate cards for bus tickets (go back to mid-February and see my issues re One-Ticket… issuing)

Anti-Crapitlist is not transport, but I just liked it. His most recent rant picks up on McDonald's own blog… now there's no food for though… as well as some mischievous ideas for use on the drive through!

Having said that, as I've added these to the blog list (I've not worked out blogrolling yet), I've (wo)manually added them in. Our other friends have also been enhanced and updated..

The other new ones
Councillor Fraser Macpherson is Dundee City councillor for the "Tay Bridges" ward (from the city centre to Strawberrybank - one of Dundee's narrowest streets!) since winning a by-election, and then winning a second term in 2004, and has subsequently endured many scrapes along the line! His blog was designed to show what he does in between his newsletters… to keep things going. He did manage to get the Saturday bus service on the 72 back in 2004, following requests from his constituents, which survived the six-month trial, and is still running.

The Unofficial Princess Diaries Bethany is a similar age to me, is also ts, and started her hormones at almost the same time as I did. That's where the similarity starts to get worrying, but it's good. Her blog shows what she's been up to of late, complete with family rants… see what I mean?

The existing ones
Musings Of A Creative Slacker was previously shown by me as "Korvar", and as I was updating the template, I decided it was worthy of the full title! It is the blog of a former colleague who is now working in Livingston, having made the right choice when he got offered two jobs at once.

Groovymother Rod Begbie has done a lot of miles since I linked to his page on Scotland's real national dish, the Deep Fried Pizza back in 1998. He's since moved across to the states, got married, and the rest, and now blogs a lot of quality items on an almost daily basis.

West End Poet I've known Bobby for quite some time, and I usually to at least say hello when I'm passing through Glasgow. Here you can read his thoughts, including music and transport related musings. Currently worth a look for the next set of First in Glasgow service changes - and by the way, didn't I suggest that the 11 might get cut due to lack of demand?

So, here they all are. I've not yet introduced myself to all the new ones yet, so if they've not listed me back, it's my fault, not theirs!

2 Comments:

At 7:22 pm, Blogger Geoff said...

hey, thanks for the mention. I confess I haven't been on the bus in ages and my posting has slowed right down, starved of inspiration, but i'll be back soon.

 
At 4:06 pm, Blogger Jag said...

Thanks for the intro!

Jag @ Route79

 

Post a Comment

<< Home